Saturday, March 21, 2009

And they're the "Best of Friends"?

Emme is not our first child. Our oldest is Rosie. She is a little squirt, who is the queen of our little palace here in Brookings. She is a whopping 11 pounds, and she is a Shih Tzu. She was my roomie, my amigo, my buddy, my best pal... UNTIL she was 4, and I moved to Brookings. She did not really like sharing my attention with Trent. And then (much to Rosie's horror) we brought Maddie home...

Maddie is our lovable, rambunctious, bright (actually, not ALWAYS bright) Chocolate Lab. Who is now weighing in around 70 pounds at 2 years old. Rosie and Maddie are best friends (not really). They frolic in the back yard (more like Maddie runs Rosie over), and they play so nicely with each other (Maddie tries to play, Rosie bites Maddie's lip and brings her down to the ground). It is a Love/Hate relationship (Maddie LOVES Rosie, and Rose HATES Maddie).

The problem with them being the best of friends (in Maddie's eyes) is that she thinks that she is as little as Rosie... We keep trying to tell her that she is big, so she belongs on the floor... I guess she doesn't understand English, because she likes to sleep with us in bed, just like Rosie.

Well, with how muddy it is outside (not to mention how crowded the bed gets at night) we decided that it was time. We have to put Maddie on the floor at night...

So three nights ago I made a nice big bed for Maddie out of old blankets and an old pillow. The first night she slept there, but tried to get on our bed about 6 times, until around 3 in the morning.... Then the pouting started. I didn't realize the dogs can pout, but Maddie had the loud "thud" to the floor, and the over dramatic "sigh" (which happened about 6 more times throughout the night). But she stayed on the floor. And I didn't have a dog taking up my bottom half of the bed, so I got to sleep with (gasp of JOY) my legs all stretched out!! YEAH!!

The second night, I slept even BETTER! And Maddie hardly tried to get on the bed at all!! It was great. We started to wake up and I rolled over to Trent and said "Maddie did much better last night". With which he replied "Yeah, but did you see where she slept?" So I turned on the light and this is what I found (right next to her big comfy bed I made for her)...

This is Maddie... Curled up into a tight little ball... On Rosie's bed... I believe the bed is made for a dog up to about 25 pounds (I should write the company and tell them that it fits dogs up 70 pounds too)! And yes, she was still pouting...

Isn't that just the saddest face?!? If she knew what crying was, she would probably do that as well...

But once she got out of bed (a little stiff, mind you)... Rosie had to jump in and take over...

She looks mean, huh? Because she is mean... And she is staring Maddie down, saying "Stay OFF my stuff Maddie! MOOOMMMMM, tell her to stay off my stuff, it's MINE."

And Maddie just started sniffing and licking Rosie, saying something like "You are so CUTE when you are angry"....

Some days, I think they are just acting and trying to prepare us for when our kids are older!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Katie! I laughed the entire time I read that! Too funny! Silly Maddie! You gotta love those dogs. We have two Pekingese and they too sleep with us every night. I remember one time the male one did something very naughty in our bed and I told Jeff that if he ever did that again I would make him sleep in the garage and Jeff just gasped.... (I married in to the dogs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I love your dog story and the pic of Maddy in the little bed! Hilarious! It totally made me laugh out loud! I have 2 dogs myself and their little personalities are SO funny. They are always amazing me with what they do and think of. We don't have kids yet, but I am sure there will be some similarities there... Thanks for sharing your funny story!

    ReplyDelete