Monday, March 23, 2009

Sad News

I have been reading a lot of books to prepare for our adoption. My favorite book (and I recommend this book to everyone, even if you are not adopting) is "There is No Me Without You" that tells the story of a foster mother in Ethiopia.

After the death of her 23 year old daughter, Mrs. Haregewoin Teferra planned to go into seclusion to live out her life. Before leaving, a priest brought her a child to care for, because they had no place for her. She thought the priest was just trying to keep her from going into seclusion. It wasn't until her little house was full of orphans, that there were children that needed homes far more than she needed seclusion. Waizero [Mrs.] Haregewoin was a woman that held so much love for the orphans in Addis Ababa. She took all children in (even those that are HIV+), and gave them a home. She lived with the children, and worked so hard to find them forever families. Mrs. Haregewoin Teferra passed away last week after a sudden illness, and left 59 children behind.


If you would like to help the children, or learn more about her story, please visit the author's blog at http://www.thereisnomewithoutyou.com/blog?op=view&id=63 .

This woman is an inspiration to me, and my heartfelt condolances go out to all of the children Waizero Haregewoin cared for.

2 comments:

  1. I was saddened when I read the news last week! What an unbelievable loss for Ethiopia! Her book really moved me!!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this just so sad? At least we do have the book - what a tribute to her life!

    ReplyDelete