Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In a Slump...

So, I'm not very good at this "blog every day" assignment, sorry! We have been having some "waiting woes" lately & it was topped off by our agency not only extending wait times for infants, but also closing the program to new applicants wanting infants, and extending the time between referral and travel to get the child... This just scares me a little bit because the process has changed so much from a year ago when we first learned about it. Now it looks like we will be waiting another year and a half for a referral & then 5-6 months after that to go and get our baby!

So what to do with this wait? I don't know! We have an Adoption & Foster Care Fair this weekend in Sioux Falls. We were asked to share our story on fundraising during one of the round tables. We had a wonderful time at last year's fair & we are looking forward to this year's. I think this year we are going to focus on learning more about foster care. We will probably start our PRIDE courses for fostering, so we can start providing respite care on the weekends. I have been also participating in monthly webinars through our agency. I am getting very antsy with this wait, so I have been devouring any type of education I can get!

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog through another fellow blogger. Nice to meet you. We are also adopting a baby girl from ET...waiting for a referral through Holt.

    I read your introductory blog from back in January that details some of your history...and it reminded me of my birth experience with my 13mo old son. I was also hemmoraging after he came out (not a c-section though)...and the nurses/doctor worked on me for a long time...I was draining blood like crazy and they set up and OR to do a hysterectomy, but were able to get me stabilized before having to do the surgery.

    We decided to follow our hearts and expand our family through international adotpion.

    Anyway, I'm rambling now, but wanted to introduce myself...I'm Jen and I'm glad I found your blog. Looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family. Those smiles tell a great story themselves, but Katie I love reading your comments... you are a writer with a true gift. Your humor and smooth flow of thoughts make reading your blog a joy.

    I can only imagine your frustration and impatience regarding the adoption. With that said, Katie remember life need not be spent on the anticipation of when "our" plan will work out... but life exists at its best when we are able to grasp the excitement of the part we are personally asked to play in "the" plan!

    Hang in there. Time serves us each so well. I admire the attitude you and Trent have assumed. March on.

    The two of you are a neat match. Always embrace your union. Remember by being a strong couple... you will be strong parents. Continue to love and enjoy each other and life will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh MAN... that wait sounds horrible, but... it too shall pass. Just think how great it will be to have Emme a bit older when your new litte one comes!!! (Is that helping at all? - probably not!!!!)

    ReplyDelete